Monday, April 25, 2011

Indian Spiced Chickpeas & Spinach (Chana Masala)


When I was in India so many years ago, I was fascinated by the variety of the spices and the colours and the aroma of each and every one of them. Unfortunately I wasn't there long enough to explore more about their cuisine, but for the few days that I had to be there I was fortunate enough to experience some of their desirable dishes. This recipe is one of my favourite among so many, I just fell in love with the simplicity yet so powerful that the taste stayed with me until today. I hope you enjoy it as well....

1/4 cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
3 tbsp (45 mL) cumin seeds
2 tbsp (30 mL) minced garlic (about 6 large cloves)
1 Tbsp ginger paste
1-1/2 tbsp (22 mL) each: garam masala, ground cumin
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1 tsp coriander seed powder
1 tsp curry powder
Pinch pure chili powder
2 yellow onions, diced
28-oz (796-mL) can diced tomatoes (don’t drain)
1/4 cup fresh or frozen spinach (optional)
Two 19-oz (540-mL) cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed
Sour cream and parsly for garnish
Cooked Basmati rice (optional), for serving


Directions:
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium high. Add cumin seeds and garlic and ginger. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add all the spices at once into the saucepan. Cook, stirring for about a minute. Add onions; cover. Cook, stirring every minute, 3 minutes to soften. Add spinach and tomatoes with juices. Reduce heat to medium. Cover. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chickpeas and reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer 20 minutes or until the sauce is thick. Garnish with dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Serve over rice or Nann bread, if desired.
Makes 6 servings.

2 comments: